Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Jerusalem, Our Destiny

Good Morning Lenten Travelers,

Well, we’re on the road again this morning, making our way closer and closer to Jerusalem ; only a few more stops along the way. Look! It’s Jesus and Peter deep in conversation. Let’s eavesdrop a bit:

“What are you saying, Peter? I didn’t quite hear you.”
“Look, we have left everything and followed you.”
“And your point?”
“Well, you have just been telling us that it’s impossible for us to save ourselves; but with God all things are possible…” “So where does that leave us?”
“I guess I haven’t made it clear enough for you, so listen carefully: “I mean it when I say that each of you who has dared to leave behind all that you have held dear for my sake and for the sake of the good news we are sharing, will receive much more in this life and in the age to come, eternal life.” (Luke 18:26-30)
“So, does this put your mind more at ease, Peter?” (No response on Peter’s part)

Then Jesus calls his 12 closest companions into an executive session:
“It won’t be long ‘til we arrive in Jerusalem , the place we have been trying to reach for quite some time. But I sense some fear among you; some uncertainty; your faces have question marks written all over them. I have tried to reassure you that your reward for being faithful will be great and far beyond your wildest dreams, yet, you still struggle.”

“Of course we are going there to celebrate the Passover and I am so happy to be able to do so with you in Jerusalem . But, as I have told you at least two times earlier, I need to tell you once again: “Everything that has been written about me by the prophets will happen. I will be turned over to some people who do not believe my true identity. They’re going to treat me very badly—casting insults, mocking me, even spitting on me. They’re going to beat me and I am going to die. But…three days later, I will be alive again!”

But the 12 simply remained clueless. Somehow it was all hidden from their understanding; as if someone had passed out earplugs among them.

We who live “this side” of the resurrection have the advantage of knowing and believing what Jesus was saying about his true identity. But as we journey with Jesus and the others; as we are about to enter the city of Jerusalem; as we take our palm fronds and wave them in the air and as we become hoarse from shouting our “Hosannas,” we too need to stop along the parade route and do a reality check.

Because this side of the resurrection notwithstanding, we need to ask if we really do understand all that Jesus was saying to his disciples? Do we really get the part about the mocking, spitting, beating, dying? And what about this eternal life stuff? Has somebody also given us earplugs?

Well, we’re getting closer and closer to Jerusalem . The Palm Sunday Parade is about to begin. The Grand Marshal is none other than Jesus Christ, Child of God, Anointed One, the Messiah! “Hosanna! Heysanna! Sanna, Sanna, Ho!” Wait, I can’t see him over the crowds. What’s he saying? I can’t get close enough to read his lips…I think he’s saying…nope…can’t quite make it out…Whatdya mean, “Can you hear me now?” Well, can you?

Don’t let the parade pass you by! See you Sunday…Blessings, Joanne

No comments: