Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Norm Factor

Good Morning All,

Have you ever found yourself overhearing, maybe even eavesdropping on a nearby conversation? I’m not talking about a covert operation or juicy bits of gossip; nothing intentional…just simply being within earshot of people talking to one another…OK, enough of my trying to justify my own actions…:)

Well…recently I was seated outside a treatment room at my chiropractor’s office where the door is always open and if the patient has a particularly loud voice, sometimes the conversation takes over whatever else you may be doing at the moment. I was working on the morning crossword puzzle trying to think of an answer when the gist of what I heard was that the woman (patient) worked at Trader Joe’s and she made it a point to learn the names of the regular customers…back to the puzzle…A few moments later a phrase came wafting through the air and landed in my ear. I heard her say, the “Norm Factor.” So much for 37 down…I found myself mulling over that phrase, first thinking that it might refer to “the norm as in normal, factor;” perhaps meaning doing whatever in a routine or normal way.

Then it hit me…a flashback to the once popular television show, Cheers…set in a neighborhood bar in Boston , MA . One of the principal characters was a guy named Norm…always there seated at the bar engaged in conversations. I remember that his persona and role was responsible for the memorable phrase out of the show’s musical theme, “…where everybody knows your name…” Maybe you’re already ahead of me (not too difficult a task when it comes to the latest business world approaches/gimmicks/techniques).

Popular culture once again gives us a phrase that we can incorporate into our lives in some way. Think about it. The “Norm Factor” can play an important role in so many situations: if you live in a retirement community; or an officer or member of a particular club or organization; or work teams; office staffs and colleagues; or your child’s classmates/teammates and parents; staff and faculty of schools and colleges…any and all settings that are based on
welcoming others and assimilating them into a particular community or organization…

And so it goes with our community of faith…you and I have so many opportunities to put the “Norm Factor” into play by welcoming and assimilating others into life at Covenant…getting to know the people who walk through Covenant’s doors—members and guests alike as we worship, study, lead and serve together; i.e. Do you know our childcare workers? Choir members?

Today is Ash Wednesday, (worship at 7:30p) the beginning of Lent, as we journey to Jerusalem and beyond, with Easter Morning just around the next few bends in the road…some of us are called to “give up” something…usually it’s a bad habit that we can simply pick it up again after Easter. But I want to challenge each of us to “take up” something…

I want us to take up the “Norm Factor” here at Covenant…Each week I challenge you to make a concentrated effort toward meeting and welcoming someone—member or guest--that you don’t know along with the challenge of remembering his/her name…write it down on your Sunday bulletin or notepad; whatever works best for you, so that you can greet them by name the next time you see them… WEAR YOUR NAMETAG!

And…I especially challenge each of us to begin learning the names of all our children; and an even greater challenge is matching them with their parents. What a wonderful gift that keeps on giving…creating a lasting memory of being part of a church family where everybody knows your name.

Isaiah 43:1 reminds us that God names and claims us; calls us by name…and I believe, God in turn, calls us to do the same…
Cheers, my friends! Come to Covenant…where everybody knows YOUR name…Joanne

No comments: