Thursday, November 11, 2010

God Moments

Good Morning All,


It’s been a while since I’ve put a musing in print; though hardly any day goes by without some spark of spiritual insight igniting my soul. Reflecting on the 3+ hours on most Sundays, I find myself laughing or at the very least smiling or perhaps even holding back a tear or two; at the various events, observations and conversations that always bring a “spark to my soul.” These are what I call, “God moments” that keep me going in the days ahead. And last Sunday was no exception…


First off, I was on the lookout for a family who had spoken with Mary Lou earlier in the week who were seeking a community of faith. She shared about the 2 services; childcare and morning classes, including Disciples 101 class and invited them to attend. They came to the 9a Gathering and remained for the Education Hour.


Right before I began Disciples 101, the class members were getting acquainted and I learned that they are from Billings, MT. I told them that we had 2 other households from Billings who were actively involved here--referring to the Swanser households. And just as I finished that statement, in walks Judy Swanser and Kole Swanser. And as I observed them making “home” connections with each other, I smiled knowing that even strangers who come from the same home town can instantly feel like long lost friends. “Six Degrees of Separation” is alive and well at Covenant!


And each Sunday without fail, there are the Acolytes who approach their responsibilities with such serious concentration. They bring such joy to me and to so many of you. I am always amazed at how the younger children who are not much taller than the Communion Table are able to make wick and flame ignite; reminding us of the Light of Christ in our presence.


Later that day, one by one, on a crisp Fall afternoon, cars and trucks began to arrive in the parking lot, filled with owners and families , accompanied by a variety of dogs; and one brave cat who came to be blessed. Just before we were about to begin, I saw a couple sitting in their truck watching all the activity. When I greeted them I learned that their dog died last year and their cat, just a few months ago; and they simply were there to celebrate all pets & their owners and to remember the wonderful memories that their own pets had brought to their lives…a convergence of healing and joy…


Another woman from the community arrived with her dog, Baxter; as did another couple from the community with their 3 large dogs, Bruiser, Ripkin & Emmie. What fun to see the true welcoming spirit of Covenant, as all were warmly greeted by friendly barks and jumping paws by Covenant pets: Hans, Heidi, Diego, Chloe, Tucker, Boone, Hurricane, Casey & Polly. As we prepared for the time of blessing all the pets were curiously checking each other out; and the children could be heard introducing their pet to another. All were then blessed and received a commemorative medal and treats!


While we were all enjoying human treats of hot apple cider, animal cookies, apples and lively conversations, some of the younger children were off by themselves being quite busy. I watched Tess Rutledge take a full pitcher of water from a card table taller than she as she very carefully filled the 4 water bowls at the Canine Corner. And a few of us also watched Seth Baldwin, as he lifted his cat in her carrier, step by step up the ladder of the slide on the playground…waiting to see if Chloe was about to have the ride of her life! But Seth decided otherwise… :)


In the midst of the “f(l)urry of activity” I met a man named Tracy, who had recently returned to Cary after 20 years living elsewhere; and when I asked his last name, I couldn’t believe it. Turns out he is one of founding era members of Covenant! What fun it was to make that connection and to share Covenant stories together…


So, with a smile in my heart, I bask in the many memories of just this one day and paws (pause) to remember that each one of us experiences so much of life on any given day…and as we make our way through, we can choose to affirm that God is in the midst of it all providing us with many unexpected joys and satisfactions…or we can choose to move headlong, full steam ahead, elbowing our way from sunrise to sunset, totally oblivious to all there is to celebrate…May we move through this day and every day, in the words of Jesus, with “eyes to see and ears to hear…” As well as minds to think and be aware, accompanied by hearts that feel...May it be so…may it be so…


Blessings, Joanne


No comments: