Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Finding the Words

Good Morning All,

“Who do people say that I am?” “Who do YOU say that I am?” “Come on now, you’ve known me for a while. You know me better than most of the folks we encounter along the way. Why the hesitation? Why are you looking anywhere and everywhere for the answer when the true answer comes from your heart? Why can’t you look into my eyes and tell me who you have come to believe that I am? Do you even have a clue? Do you have the remotest of inklings as to my identity? And finally Peter blurts out, “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God!” Good answer Peter…Here’s the keys to the Kingdom…

“Who do YOU say that I am?” What a great question for you, me and countless other seekers, to not only wrestle with initially, but time and again throughout our faith journey. I want to revisit the illustration I shared this past Sunday about a woman leaving worship feeling refreshed and renewed from her time spent with her life-long faith community. She was deep in thought as she contemplated the wonderful morning message; just like you do when you leave Covenant, right? :) And she accidentally bumped into a guy who was standing on the sidewalk, looking at the large opened doors, the sun reflecting from the stained-glass windows of Jesus and his disciples.

“Excuse me; I wasn’t looking where I was going.” And she continued making her way toward the parking lot.

“Ma’am…could I ask you a question?” Thinking he probably wanted money or directions, she walked back toward him. “Yes, what is it?”

“Can you tell me what folks in there believe?”

Probably hoping beyond all hope that he actually wanted a handout, she hemmed and hawed, shifting from one foot to the next; looking everywhere but into his eyes; trying to put a few words into an intelligible sentence; but to no avail. Sensing her discomfort with his question, he simply said, “I’m sorry to bother you; I’ll be on my way…”

He bothered her alright…not for her time but because she couldn’t find the words to adequately answer his question. Whew! Have you ever been in that situation before? Declaring yourself to be a Christian; a faithful follower of this Jesus and you can’t even spit out an intelligible answer as to what you and “folks in there” believe!

This past Saturday at Lazy Daze, Renié was handing out “Come, Satisfy the Hungry Heart” cards that offer our website and information about our Sunday and Wednesday services—pick up few! A few times, I was taken aside to share who we are and what “folks in here” believe and practice. I jumped right in! I get excited thinking about all the dynamic leadership we have; the dedicated staff; the teachers and youth leaders; the choir; the children & youth; the volunteer spirit and willingness to share our time, talent, money and energy; and the joy expressed each Sunday in our worshipping community.

At first it may seem that sharing the Covenant Story is a whole lot easier than telling others about this Jesus. And yet, if we had never experienced the presence and power of this Jesus in our lives, we couldn’t begin to enthusiastically tell others what “folks believe in there,” now could we? Our excitement, our joy, about being a part of this faith community called Covenant is only made possible because of the inviting Spirit who is alive and well and bumping around in our hearts and lives. Once we claim what’s already deep within us, we too will be able to find the words that convey our faith to others who are seeking this steadfast relationship with God in Jesus Christ.

So when opportunity comes knocking…don’t hold back! Be Bold! If words escape you, simply blurt out, “Come and See! Come and See!” Blessings, Joanne


Rev. Joanne VerBurg, Sr. Minister
“Come, Satisfy the Hungry Heart”
www.CovenantChristianChurch-Cary.org

No comments: